Tips to Reduce the Risk of Bruising After Injectables
7 Tips to Reduce the Chance of Bruising:
- Tell your injector about ALL prescription and over the counter medications, vitamins, minerals, and herbal supplements you are currently taking.
- Avoid the following for 24 hours before your procedure, as they are known to increase the risk of bruising:
- Fish oils/omega-3 fatty acids
- Advil, Mortin, Aleve
- Vitamin E
- Garlic supplements
- Ginko Biloba
- St. John’s Wort
- Do not consume any alcoholic beverages at least one day before and after your procedure. Consumption of alcohol can cause your blood vessels to dilate and increase the risk of bleeding and bruising.
- Avoid strenuous workout immediately before and 24-48 hours after your procedure.
- Apply ice as pre and post-treatment for up to 48 hours after.
- Use Arnica topical cream
- Apply warm compresses and light massage after 48 hours (for filler ONLY, do NOT massage neuromodulators) to help increase blood flow to speed the fading of bruise discoloration.
Under the skin, there is a freeway of veins and arteries! No matter how skilled your injector is, it’s very difficult to avoid bruising when having fillers and/or neuromodulators (Botox, Dysport, Xeomin) injected. It is actually rare that a patient doesn’t bruise. FDA studies have been conducted were some of the most experienced injectors in the world still had an average of 60% of patients bruise. This only further demonstrates that bruising is common among even the best of the best.
So please remember that bruising is extremely common with these type of procedures. Following these tips should help promote a speedy recovery!
For More Information:
For more information on pre-and-post procedure protocols, please contact us at ZONA Med Spa. Or book a complimentary consultation online by clicking here.
Back to the Blog